Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine proves highly effective in treating the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. In this post, we can read more about this complication, its causes, symptoms and how Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine can help to treat it efficiently!
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, shortly called as CTS is a condition caused by increased pressure on the median nerve of the wrist.
- There is a space in the wrist which is called the carpal tunnel
- The median nerve and nine tendons pass from the forearm into the hand in this space
- Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when pressure builds up from inflammation in this tunnel and puts stress on the nerve
Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Generally the cause is unknown
- Pressure on the nerve is the main reason for developing this condition. This can happen in several ways; maybe the reason is swelling of the lining of the flexor tendons (Tenosynovitis); joint dislocations, fractures, and arthritis can narrow down the tunnel
- Keeping the wrist bent for long periods of time.
- Thyroid conditions, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Diabetes etc also can be related with developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Signs & Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Numbness (lack of feeling) in the thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers.
- Tingling (Itchy or scratchy)
- Pain in the arm, hand, and fingers
- The symptoms predominantly are felt during the nights
- You would sometimes notice a weaker grip, tendency to drop things
- Occasional clumsiness
- When the condition becomes severe, sensation may be permanently lost and the muscles at the base of the thumb slowly shrink. This condition is called as Thenar Atrophy.
Read this article written by Tim H. Tanaka to learn more about CTS!!
Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
There are few methods in which you can self-treat this condition to reduce the intensity of the symptoms and the pain. Changing the patterns of using the hands, or keeping the wrist splinted in a straight position might help in reducing pressure on the nerve. Wearing wrist splints at night may relieve the symptoms and pain that interfere or disturb with sleep.
But still if you could not control the pain it causes, then you must definitely consult a doctor and get it treated. Traditional treating methods such as Acupuncture and Chinese Medicines prove highly effective in treating the symptoms of CTS.
If you’d like to find out more about the benefits of Chinese medicine and acupuncture in treating and managing pain conditions, call us on 1300 432 639.